A Travellerspoint blog

Day 7 - and so it ends....

journey home alone

storm 66 °F

I woke early this morning and watched the sun rise over the Osoyoos valley from my friend's home atop Anarchist Mountain. The internet was still out since his antenna was hit by lightening the night before, but the satellite tv still worked and today's forecast was mixed. After breakfast I headed out around 8:30 for the border crossing and the long ride home.

breakfast with Ajai and Jackie

No fun roads, just a mission to get home after being on the road 7 days and try to get ahead of the weather. I went straight south on 97, to 97a into Chelan. 97a was busy since 97 was closed due to the bridge being out after a bad accident last week. Refueled in Chelan and continued onward and the post Labor Day RV parade was in full swing. Lots of passing where possible, a few radar hits from WSP but no performance awards earned. I was deciding right up until the last minute if I should take Rt 2 or I-90 and finally though I-90 might be better with the extra lanes and normally faster speed on that. So down Blewett Pass I went looking forward to getting on the gas once on the I-90 in Cle Elum, and much to my disappointment as soon as I hit I-90 I was in 10mph bumper to bumper traffic. It rolled back from forth from 20 to 5 with only an occasional full stop, but it was still too damn slow after so many miles over the past week. I couldn't take it so I got off in Roslyn to get a bite to eat and hopefully let the rolling road block thin out.


An hour later I was ready to go again. After lunch it was drizzling a little so I put on the rain gear before leaving. I went back to the freeway and found my plan worked - it was clean and clear! or so I thought. The traffic wasn't really gone, it had simply moved to the next exit. Once I got to Easton, traffic came to a screeching halt again. After a mile or so I saw a beat up old camper in the median on the eastbound side of the road with its side ripped open. Apparently all this traffic was due to everyone slowing to catch a glimpse of the damage, once past the wreck, traffic immediately picked up. All that back up from the looky-loo's going home. About the same time a steady rain started falling and got progressively heavier the close I got to the pass. Over the pass and the rain got torrential. I had no choice but to press on for the next 45 miles downhill. Around North Bend my low gas light came on, but it was so miserable out and I was so close I pressed on until getting to the main drag in Sammamish. I filled up again, then head the few miles home and pulled into the garage with Michelle waiting for me. A quick hug and I was home.

Another trip on the books. I rode some great roads I hadn't been on before, found some roads to avoid in the future, met new riders and made new friendships. Can't wait for the next one!

Posted by martys 21:03 Archived in USA Tagged motorcycle

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint